For the frist time ever since living in TX, we were banished to the closet! The news had been saying that Tuesday would be a bad day for severe storms in North Texas. We have seen severe thunderstorms, but nothing like this! Here is a recap...
First, let me preface this by saying storms (mainly tornado's) freak me out! When I was little and we had torndo WATCHES, I would go upstairs and get all of my stuffed animals and take them to the basement. Anyways...
Tuesday around noon: I call Lincoln to tell him about the weather (it was supposed to start getting bad around 4) and to see if he could come home early to be here with Flash in case something bad were to happen. I was not going to be home until 5:30, and our area was supposed to get hit first so I wanted to make sure our sweet Flashy wasn't going to be in danger! He laughs, but agrees ( I think we have been married long enough now, that he knows I do not give up on things like this, and that I have a tendency to freak out).
12:45- Watching the news and torndo watches are already popping up on the screen. So I call Lincoln back to see if I can bring Flash to him. (I recognize that there is something weird about this...I seriously love that dog too much!) He is like NO, it will be fine! Trusting the weather and Lincoln to be home by 4, I left for work.
5:30-I get home, and nothing had happened. Lincoln gives me a hard time for my panic....and I am feeling a little lame! But, I turned on the news and noticed the "storm" was supposed to hit us around 6. Well, they were saying that it may be starting to weaken, and it was just thunder and lightning.
5:45- Rotation is starting to take place, and tornados are forming just to the west of us, and sure enough, they are heading straight for us! Freak out mode comes back at an extreme! I was glued to the weather for the next hour or so. I can't remember exact times of everything.
8 (or around)- Hail starts falling. Small at first, then golf ball, then bigger, and it was coming down fast. Our yard was covered in hail. (wish I could have gotten a picture)
8:05- sirens start to sound. I went outside (hail had stopped) and looked up, and saw clouds rotating, just like they were describing on the news. I have never seen anything like it in real life. So....To the closet we go... I turned the news on in our bedroom super loud so we could hear it from the closet. Ever since the terrible outbreaks in Joplin, everyone was saying that if you don't have a basement, its best to cushion yourself with as much as possible. SO... I told Lincoln we should get the matress off the day bed in our office, and he lovingly brough it in the closet (still thinking I am crazy!) Lucky, he loves me! :)
The rotating clouds...
8:10-8:45ish- we are in the closet. I am hearing from the news about all the funnel clouds that had formed all around us. And seriously SO CLOSE! I actually saw one and it looked like it was right over our house. So there we are...in the closet...with Flash....listening to the news...and finally it appeard to be past.
8:45- we emerged from the closet, and everything was fine. I am so grateful that we are ok, and nothing was damaged. It easily could have been.
Thoughts and prayers go out to the people In Joplin, and all the other places that have been hit by these terrible stroms recently (MO,OK, GA, MS, TN, NC). We are so lucky and blessed to be safe.
1 comment:
K I was terrified too!! We were in our bathroom listening to it, on the channel we were listening to it literally said the roads - between N Tarrant and Bear Creek and between Beach and 377...THAT IS OUR HOUSES!! I was so scared!!!!
Post a Comment